- About Ilok
- Sights and Experiences?
- Tastes and Flavors?
Year 1899 in Ilok was founded Royal School of Viticulture, whose tradition College Ilok grown up to today.
Ilok was the destination of Capistrano's wishes. He repeated on several occasions that he wanted to be buried in Ilok. He thought that the fortress of Ilok was of extreme importance, not only for strategic reasons, but primarily for religious reasons… "This place has to be kept. When you bury my bones, do not leave Ilok!"
These words of St John of Capistrano, an apostle of Europe, are a source of pride and honour to the citizens of Ilok, together with their votive obligation to protect his sainthood and personality. In his desire to leave the durable imprint of Catholicism and the Franciscan order on the border between the east and the west, Capistrano came to die in the friary and church that proudly rise above the Danube, among the firm fortress walls of the King of Bosnia, Nikola Iločki (Nicholas of Ilok).
The Franciscans were first mentioned in Ilok in the 14th century, when the Duke of Ugrin erected a church here. In honour of Saint John of Capistrano, it was extended and restored by King Nikola after Capistrano's death. Capistrano was canonized in 1690, and the cell and chapel in which he lived during his illness and died in 1456 has been preserved in its original condition. Nowadays, it is visited by pilgrims and other visitors who find the spiritual strength and faith which emanate from the entire church and friary. In the past, while Capistrano was on his deathbed, and numerous people of rank and ordinary folk came to pay reverence to him, the first miraculous healings occurred that continued at his grave after his death. There is a written testimony about those events entitled "The Miracles of John of Capistrano", which describes 100 similar events. This text is held by the National Library in Paris, and there are a couple of original copies in Rome and the Vatican. The copies of his personal manuscripts are kept in the library of the Ilok friary. The friary adjoining the church was restored on several occasions in the period between the 14th and 20th centuries. The last changes and restoration in the Neo-Gothic style were managed by Herman Bolle, in a style similar to the one he used on Zagreb Cathedral. In the course of the Homeland War and population displacements, the church was attacked by rockets and mined on several occasions.
If you want to experience Ilok from another perspective, visit the tower within the friary and enjoy a wonderful view of the surroundings.
For guided visit to whole complex by announcement call local tourist agencies or Tourist board, or franciskaner direkt: +385 32 592 860. No tickets, but charity welcomed.