The Odescalchi Castle -The Ilok town Museum
The Odescalchi Castle is the central building situated in the medieval town of Ilok, housing the famous old Ilok cellars and the Museum of the Town of Ilok.
The Odescalchi Castle is an impressive building built on the foundations of the castle of King Nikola Iločki from the 15th century. Nikola's medieval castle with the entire Ilok estate, which at the time occupied the greater part of Srijem, were given by Emperor Leopold to Pope Innocent XI Odescalchi and his family as a reward for their help in liberating Ilok from the Turks. The Pope's nephews, aristocrats from Italy, expanded the castle and changed its style. The castle was eventually rebuilt in the Baroque-Classicist style. They developed at the time very modern wine cellars beneath the castle and gave impetus to the growth of viticulture and wine production. After 1945, the Odescalchi left their Ilok estate, and their descendants remain a part of the Italian nobility, living near Rome.
The castle and the entire medieval town of Ilok are today part of the project of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Croatia "Restructuring, research and restoration of the site Vukovar – Vučedol – Ilok". After the completion of the works, the Museum of the Town of Ilok is reopened with its archaeological, medieval, ethnographic and art collection and outdoor exibithion.
Restoration of the castle was completed and inside the two floors is again Ilok City Museum with a new exhibition. Since February 2010.g open to visitors.
Tel: 032/827 410
Fax: 032/827 418